Twitter Facebook ASun NCAA USCU Newsletter
Hatters Net Win on Penalty Kick in Second Overtime Period

  • print
  • email
  • font +
  • font -
  • rss

Carter Ridgeway and four others seniors were honored on Senior Day.

Carter Ridgeway and four others seniors were honored on Senior Day.

Oct. 28, 2007

Box Score

SPARTANBURG, S.C. - A tough, hard-fought game between USC Upstate and Stetson was decided by a penalty kick in the second overtime period, and Tanner Wolfe converted the PK in the 103rd minute of play to give Stetson a 1-0 victory over the Spartans Sunday afternoon in Atlantic Sun Conference men's soccer action at County University Soccer Stadium.

With the win, Stetson improved to 10-4-1 overall and 6-2-1 with 19 points in the A-Sun. Upstate closed out its home schedule Sunday on Senior Day, falling to 3-13-0 overall and 3-6-0 with nine points in the conference. Stetson hosts Winthrop Saturday at 3:00 p.m. in DeLand, Fla., while Upstate ends its first season in NCAA Division I Saturday afternoon at 2:00 against Presbyterian in Clinton.

The action was fast-paced and physical throughout the game. The teams combined for 26 shots with Stetson taking 15 and Upstate taking 11 on the day. There were also 11 corner kicks taken between the two teams. However, only 12 of the 26 shots were placed on goal. The teams also teams combined for 44 fouls and two yellow cards. Stetson was whistled for 29 fouls, while Upstate drew 15 penalties. Each team received a yellow card in the game.

Stetson goalkeeper Evan White and Upstate goalkeeper Jason McCabe were tested a couple of times each, and both found the ball each time to keep the opposition off of the scoreboard. White tallied five saves on the day, while McCabe recorded six.

Stetson missed an early opportunity to score when Wolfe's shot got by McCabe and hit the right post in the fourth minute of play. Wolfe sent another hard shot towards the goal early in the second half, but a Spartan defender blocked the shot before it could get to McCabe and the goal mouth.

The pace of play picked up even more in the overtime periods with both teams battling for the win. Wolfe got off two shots in the first overtime period, but neither were put on goal. With time winding down, Upstate's Chad McCoy placed a shot on goal, but White was there to make the save, sending the contest into a second overtime period.

After Stetson was called for being offside, Upstate put the ball in play. However, Stetson gained possession after the free kick and Wolfe broke free behind the defense. He was played a ball from the midfield and was one-on-one with Upstate keeper McCabe. McCabe and Wolfe collided inside the box and a penalty kick was awarded to the Hatters. Wolfe stepped up and put the PK into the back of the net just out of McCabe's reach for the 1-0 win in the 103rd minute.

USC Upstate Men's Soccer
  Printer-friendly format   Email this article